Deutsche Post DHL, Deutsche Post (do not confuse with express delivery service DHL Express) is German international mail and logistics holding, whose divisions are engaged in the delivery of mail and parcels both in Germany and in more than 220 countries. Division Deutsche Post AG handles the shipment of the mail and parcels in Germany, and DHL division handles shipment of parcels and small packet from Germany to almost every corner of the world – 120 000 cities in more than 220 countries. In addition, DHL has representatives in many countries, o businesses can organize the delivery of parcels and mail worldwide using DHL’s service with their product DHL Global Mail. Another division of Deutsche Post DHL – is DHL Express, which handles the delivery of express mail services. The headquarters of Deutsche Post DHL is located in Bonn, and the staff is about 300 thousand people.
It is very difficult to understand the intricacies of the organization of work and services offered by Deutsche Post and DHL because many of the services on their sites fully duplicated. Most German online stores use DHL to ship the goods abroad, and Deutsche Post is used to send written correspondence – letters and parcels weighing up to 2 kg, with no tracking number. The shoppers from German online stores need to know that the goods sent via Deutsche Post or DHL to the territory of the Russian Federation and CIS countries, are delivered to the final recipients through national postal services – Russian Post, Kazpost, Belposhta, etc., except for Ukraine, where the delivery is handled by the Mist company. If the weight of international mail is more than 20 kilos the delivery will be handled by EMS.
List of the goods prohibited for shipment via DHL (under no circumstances can be accepted for delivery):
- Antiques (breakable and fragile)
- Asbestos and products containing asbestos,
- Bullion (precious metals)
- Firearms, ammunition and parts of it,
- Human remains (including ashes)
- Jewelry, precious stones and metals,
- Drugs (illegal)
- Flammable and hazardous substances prohibited for air shipment(IATA established international air traffic regulations).
When sending goods and objects in Germany, you must be aware of the additional restrictions (on the German Customs, these items will be removed):
- Counterfeit products,
- Objects with swastika,
- Figs and nuts: peanuts, Brazil nuts, pistachios,
- Animal skins,
- Precious metals and stones,
Categories accepted for delivery, but require specification of the conditions for sending in the exporting country; additional requirements and accompanying documents (should be specified in the local offices of DHL):
- Computer software,
- medical equipment,
- Medicinal products with a prescription and without it,
- Perishable foods,
- Samples of fabrics and materials
- Medical samples
- Coffee samples.
Almost all of the printed product samples can be sent via DHL without further documenting.
Main methods for international shipping from Germany
Buch International – parcel for shipment of publications (books, magazines, catalogs). The maximum size of the mail in sum of three dimensions (length, height, width) – 90 cm, maximum weight – 2000 grams. There are two delivery options here – Economy (surface), Priority (air). Price from 3 to 16.9 euros. Tracking unavailable.
Maxi Brief International / Postkarte International – letters and parcels to send written correspondence and documents. The maximum size of the mail in sum of three dimensions (length, height, width) – 90 cm, maximum weight – 2000 grams. The delivery here is Priority (air). Price from 0,75 to 16.9 euros. Tracking unavailable.
- Einschreiben International – a registered letter with tracking.
- Eilbrief – urgent letter with express delivery and tracking option.
- Wertbrief International – a letter with declared value and insurance (1.5 euros for every 100 euros of declared value.
DHL Päckchen international – small package for small goods shipment with weight up to 2000 grams. The maximum size of the mail in sum of three dimensions (length, height, width) – 90 cm, the length should not exceed 60 cm, maximum weight – 2000 grams. Priority (air) delivery. Price from 15,9 euros. Tracking and insurance against loss for EUR 35 are only available for additional fee 3 euros to the cost of delivery. Tracking number is assigned and it looks like Rx123456785DE.
DHL Paket International – International mail (parcel) with delivery in more than 210 countries worldwide. The maximum size of the three dimensions (length, height, width) is 120x60x60 cm, maximum weight – 31,5 kilos. The delivery here is Priority (air). The shipping costs depend on the country area (Russia, Ukraine, Belarus belong to Zone 2, Kazakhstan and other CIS countries to Zone 3.) and the weight of the goods 5,10, 10 and 31,5 kilos. Tracking and insurance up to 215 euros (depending on the weight of a parcel) are included in the cost of the shipping.
Weight restrictions for Russia and Kazakhstan – 20 kg!
The cost of standard shipping of DHL Paket International (Zone 2):
- up to 5 kg – 30 euros + 74 euros insurance,
- up to 10 kg – 35 Euro + 100 Euro insurance,
- up to 20 kg – 45 Euro + 154 Euro insurance.
Additional insurance depends on the declared value of item and is additional 6 euros to the cost of delivery of the first 500 euros price of the goods and 1.5 euros for every extra 100 euros of the goods’ price. This means that to send goods worth 800 euros, the cost of insurance will be 6+(3 x 1.5) = 10.5 euros.
DHL Paket International Premium – the same as DHL Paket International, but with additional features – Faster Shipping and insurance for 500 euros, included in the shipping costs. This service will cost an additional 8 -26 Euro (for countries of Zone 2). It is this delivery method uses the popular German magazine Computeruniverse technology and electronics. A tracking number that looks like Cx123456789DE is assigned.
DHL Global Mail
DHL Global Mail is not a way to ship directly from Germany, it’s a delivery service, which is offered by an international company DHL to its business partners worldwide. In this method of parcels delivery will pass in transit through Germany.
There 2 most common types of delivery DHL Global Mail:
- Globalmail Packet – the cheapest delivery method for sending light and inexpensive items, such as disks, small parts, T-shirts, vitamins and dietary supplements. The maximum size of the mail in sum of three dimensions (length, height, width) – 90 cm, maximum weight – 2000 grams (usually 4 pounds or 1814 grams). The goods should cost not more than $ 400. Tracking is available but not in all cases, usually only in the territory of the exporting country. Such popular US stores as iHerb, Vitacost use this delivery method.
- Globalmail Packet Plus – the same as the Global Mail Packet, but with the international tracking numbers and customs fees.
- Globalmail Parcel Standard and Priority – parcels, enough profitable and fast way to deliver various sending weighing up to 20 kg (44 lbs). The maximum size of the mail in sum of three dimensions (length, height, width) – 200 cm. Tracking number is assigned, insurance $ 100 is included Globalmail Parcel Priority. Assigned with a track-number of GM12345678901234567 type.
Tracking Deutsche Post, DHL and DHL Global Mail
Small packets sent via Deutsche Post, are assigned a unique 12-digit number that is used to track the movement of good before its export from Germany. Registered and urgent letters (small packages up to 2 kg) after the export are assigned with a standard number to keep the tracking; this number looks like Lx123456789DE or Rx123456785DE.
Parcels and small packets sent via DHL Paket International DHL Päckchen international before export from Germany, also have a unique 12-digit number that after the export is replaced by the standard international tracking number IGOs and has the form:
- Rx123456789DE – small packets weighing up to 2 kg,
- Cx123456789DE – parcel weight from 2 to 20 kg,
- Ex123456789DE – parcels weighing more than 20 kg (up to 31.5).
You can track the movement of the international mail from Germany on the official website of Deutsche Post / DHL, where in the field Sendungsnummer you must enter the 12-digit internal number of German Mail and click «Suchen».
On the next page you will see that in the UPU Code line (number of the Universal Postal Union) after the export from Germany the track-number in international format appeared. This page also provides the information about the delivery method, detailed movements and the opportunity to know the recipient’s name.
For small packages Globalmail Packet Standard and Priority assigns to a tracking number of the GM12345678901234567 type, which can be tracked on DHL Global webpage. Unfortunately, the track of such small packages is only possible until the export from the sender’s country, but as we know, these are the international mails that go in transit through Germany, where they are often transferred to the delivery partners that deliver them to the final destination. These partners can be Russian Post / EMS, Ukrainian Rosan, etc. In this case, at the stage of transit through Germany, you can see the notice of assignment of the internal 12-digit tracking number beneath the words Delivery Partner. This number must be used for tracking according to the instructions given above for Deutsche Post / DHL, this means it will change into the standardized number of R(С, E)x123456789DE type tracking in Track & Trace system.